500 E. 51st St.Chicago, IL 60615
Phone: (312) 572-2000
- Adult medical/surgical nursing care
- Full-time (24/7), in-house hospitalist coverage (internal medicine physicians; all are attending physicians.)
- Monitored beds available for patients with cardiac problem diagnoses
- Consulting physicians available in Cardiology, Infectious Disease, GI, Pulmonary, Urologic Surgery, Podiatry, General Surgery, Nephrology, Endocrinology, and Neurology.
- Asthma and heart failure targeted programs are available.
- Emergency Medicine
- Esophageal Diseases
- Free HIV Testing
- Gastrointestinal Disorders
- General Surgery/Same Day Surgery
- HIV/AIDS Program
- Infectious Diseases
- Internal Medicine
- Kidney disease
- Lung Diseases
- Outpatient Mental Health
- Outpatient Obstetrics
- Outpatient Ophthalmology
- Pain Management
- Pastoral Care
- Outpatient Pediatrics
- Outpatient Pelvic Health
- Podiatry/Foot Care
- Primary Care
- Radiology/Diagnostic Imaging/Nuclear Medicine/Mammography/Ultra Sound
- Rehabilitation Services
- Respiratory Diseases
- Outpatient Sleep Disorders
- Social Services/Interpreter Services/Rape Advocacy/Home Health Referral Service
- Stress Testing
- Urgent Care (Non Emergent Care)
- Urologic Surgery
- Vascular Access Surgery
- Wound Care
Diabetes Care: For newly diagnosed and chronic diabetics, ProvidentHospitaloffers weekly classes and useful discussions on the two diabetes types. Patients review signs and symptoms of low and high blood sugars, proper interventions for both, and use of the glucose meter. Education includes dietary therapy, medication administration, personal dental, eye, foot and skin care. Classes meet on Monday evenings from 5 pm to 7:30 pm and Tuesday from 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm. For more information, contact Navis Carson-Dunn at 312-572-1814.
Asthma Care: Managing your condition correctly is the most important thing you can do to ensure a normal, healthy life. The asthma classes at Provident Hospital are personalized based on each patient’s needs and disease severity. Discussions include self-management and effects of asthma, use of a peak flow meter, asthma medications and more. Classes meet every Wednesday and Friday. For scheduling details, please dial 312-572-2309.
Smoking Cessation: Provident Hospital guarantees that if you are ready to stop smoking, we can help you. The Smoking Cessation Program at Provident Hospital of Cook County meets every Thursday from 9 am to 11 am. (Except Holidays) To stop smoking now, contact Linda Walker at 312-572-2309 for information.
HIV screenings: Screenings are offered daily in the Emergency Department at Provident Hospital. No appointment is necessary. To find out more about their HIV program, its services and support groups, contact Angela Wilson at 312-572-5994.
Congestive Heart Failure: The education classes include discussions on what is heart failure, the causes and symptoms, the management of heart failure and much more. Meetings are held on Mondays from 10 am to Noon. Doctor’s appointments are available. For more information, contact Linda Walker at 312-572-2309.
Emergency Room Services
Provident offers acute, emergency services, but no trauma care; urgent/non-emergent care is also provided through the ‘Dr. Quick’ program. Provident has a ‘standby’ emergency room, so ambulances are not accepted. Call (312) 572-1700.
The Outpatient Pharmacy is located at 450 E. 50th Place.
The hours of operation are:
- For all patients:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday – 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday – 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Saturday – 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- For emergency room and discharged patients only:
- Sunday and holidays – (Closed)
New prescriptions are not accepted after 4:00PM.
Visiting Hours & Policies
General Visiting Hours
- 2 Visitors Per Room Visit
- All visitors must be issued a pass which can be obtained at the First Floor Reception Desk. Visitors must be at least 12 years of age.
Medical/Surgical Unit (8 West – Inpatient Unit)
- 11:00 AM – 8:30 PM
- There may be only two visitors at one time per patient. Exceptions may be made by the doctor based upon the patient’s condition
The Provident Hospital laboratory, in association with the John H. Stroger, Jr. laboratory, provides a full range of anatomic pathology diagnostic services available in the Division of Anatomic Pathology. We assure the most sophisticated diagnostic modalities of technology are available. Techniques include frozen section and fixed tissue light microscopy, immunohistochemical & immunofluorescent staining and cell morpometry.
The clinical pathology laboratories provide excellent, full-spectrum service. The laboratories provide more than 1,200 different laboratory analyses. Our laboratories include Blook Bank & Transufsion, Biochemistry, Flow Cytometry, Hematopathology, Immunology, Drug Analysis, Toxicology, Microbiology, Virology, Molecular Diagnostics and Phlebotomy Services.
Accessing Your Medical Records
Please visit Medical Records to get information about how you can get access to your personal records.