The Department of Radiology at Cook County Health is dedicated to training clinical radiologists who will succeed in both academic and private settings. Residents are assured opportunities to acquire a broad range of diagnostic and interventional skills in all subspecialties and imaging modalities. Residents also receive advanced training in emergency medicine in our world renowned Level 1 Trauma Center. One of our goals is to train the next generation of radiologists who will continue to contribute and expand the field of medical imaging. Ninety percent of our residents pursue subspecialty training in a wide variety of fellowships across the country.
The radiology residency program at John H. Stroger Jr., Hospital currently has a total of 16 residents and 30 faculty members, and accepts four residents per year. CCH’S Department of Radiology has a long tradition of educational excellence and our faculty members are committed to training the next generation of radiologists. We believe education goes beyond academics, and train our residents to develop positive relationships with referring physicians and continuously strive for quality improvement. At CCH, we take great pride in our residents and their accomplishments.
The Department of Radiology at CCH is uniquely positioned to provide exposure to a wide variety of disease states, patient populations, and state of the art technology. Some highlights include:
- More than 650,000 exams performed and interpreted annually
- On our main campus location alone there are 6 CT Toshiba units, 5 MR scanners up to 1.5 Tesla; PET/CT, and SPECT/CT.
- Breast imaging facilities with state of the art digital mammography, tomosynthesis, ultrasound, and breast MRI.
- Three vascular interventional and a brand new state of the art neurointerventional suite.
- Radiology section located within the Emergency Department with two CT scanners dedicated solely to imaging emergency department patients.
- Fully integrated PACS workstations with dedicated post processing VITREA software.
- Newly updated, next generation voice recognition software allows residents to complete, edit, sign-off and in one step transfer a transcribed report to clinicians instantly.
- The new hospital is 1,200,000 square feet, the equivalent of 25 football fields, with a staff of over 300 attending physicians along with more than 400 medical residents and fellows.
- The residency training and education program have a primary affiliation with nearby Rush Medical College, and minor affiliations with Chicago Medical School, University of Illinois College of Medicine, and Northwestern University.